Wednesday 18 July 2012

Rockabilly Comes From Bluegrass

The Eastender Himself was listening to an old timey country song called "My Sweet Blue Eyed Darlin' which was written by a bluegrass singer called Bill Monroe and was struck by how much like a Buddy Holly song it sounds. The chord progression on the last line of each verse is pure Holly and the Crickets and the thumping base and the way the players each break into a mandolin or banjo solo, is very similar to the set up in a rockabilly band. Bluegrass music predates rock and roll, but rockabilly music, is very obviously, in part, derived from it.You can also hear the influence of the Hank Williams Snr song 'Move it on Over' in Bill Hailey's 'Rock Around the Clock'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8DgRpRLdsU

have a listen to these versions of 'My Sweet Blue Eyed Darlin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYIIxQJim5w&list=FLQ4W6EIyYd2vi-zkzf1Dd4Q&index=2&feature=plpp_video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAGh_4xCeW8&list=FLQ4W6EIyYd2vi-zkzf1Dd4Q&index=1&feature=plpp_video


You're my sweet blue-eyed darling

And my love belongs to you

All I ask of you my darling

Is to love me good and be true

                     
Days come and go and I still love you
                       
And I see your smiling face
     
Tell me love that you need me
       
And no one's going to take my place


                       
And today I need an answer
                       
And I want to hear you say
           
You don't belong to another
   
And in my arms you're gonna stay

No comments:

Post a Comment